This ad is expired.
Assistant Dean, JD Admissions & Financial Aid
Position Title & Department: Assistant Dean, JD Admissions & Financial Aid; School of Law
Posting #: 4762
USD School of Law is one of the 84 law schools elected to the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates. The law school's faculty is a strong group of outstanding scholars and teachers with national and international reputations and currently ranks in the top 20% (36th out of 204) among U.S. law schools in scholarly impact according to a 2018 study. The school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. Founded in 1954, the law school is part of the University of San Diego, a private, independent, Roman Catholic university chartered in 1949.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
The Assistant Dean provides the vision and administrative leadership for all functions related to law school JD admissions, admissions-related diversity initiatives and financial aid programs. Key responsibilities of this position include: serving as the law school's chief admissions and financial aid officer; all prospective student diversity initiatives; developing and implementing competitive marketing and recruitment strategies designed to strengthen the academic quality and diversity of the student body; and utilizing a data-informed, comprehensive approach to building enrollment and strategically leveraging financial aid to meet JD enrollment, diversity, and retention goals.
The Assistant Dean is responsible for administering the law school federal work-study program, for administering the law school's private scholarship program, for strategically distributing a $19M financial aid budget to 800+ students and balancing the standardized test and GPA qualifications of the incoming class to meet the goals of the law school. The Assistant Dean works directly with potential students to encourage them to choose USD as their law school and, upon matriculation, works with them to encourage them to stay at USD.
The Assistant Dean reports to the Law School Dean and works collaboratively with the law school faculty, leadership team, alumni, and legal community. This position requires travel and attendance at on and off campus events during and outside of normal business hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Admissions and Financial Aid (60%)
- In collaboration with senior leadership, annually formulates enrollment targets and admission standards for the JD program.
- Oversees the application review and admissions process, making admissions decisions and determining strategic financial aid allocations.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the faculty Admissions Committee.
- Evaluates and determines parameters for financial aid packages for admitted and currently enrolled students with an eye towards increased yield and retention.
- Oversees the law school federal work-study program by matching student resources with faculty and operational requests.
- Works with the Development office to establish and promote fundraising efforts to increase donor giving to scholarship programs.
- Administers the law school donor scholarship program: reviews applications, matches awards to entering and returning students, and partners with the Development office to reconcile awards with funding accounts.
- Works with faculty, students, administrators, and alumni to develop post-admission enrollment activities and events.
- Prepares and presents comprehensive reports and data analyses related to admissions trends and demographics to the faculty, leadership team, and law school constituents as needed.
- Maintains positive working relationship with peers at other law schools to gain marketing information.
Marketing and Recruitment (25%)
- Designs and directs a comprehensive marketing plan that results in a strong JD applicant pool and increased admissions yield.
- Develops an annual plan for college and university visits for recruiting and public relations purposes such as organizing travel to LSAC forums and college events.
- Devises targeted recruitment, marketing, and communications efforts aimed at populations such as prospective part-time students, underrepresented populations, transfers, visitors, and scholarship-eligible candidates for law school.
- Identifies, analyzes, and responds to market trends to renew or adapt recruitment strategies.
- Ensures effective and professional communications with prospects, applicants, and admitted students. Oversees existing and crafts future legal education pipeline programs.
- Plans and oversees annual yield events such as Campus Visit Days. This includes budgeting and tracking travel stipends extended to admitted applicants.
Diversity Initiatives (10%)
- Manages the development and implementation of initiatives geared towards increasing the number of admitted students from historically underrepresented groups including students of color, disadvantage socio-economic background and LGBT groups.
- Collaboratively works with Students Affairs on educational and mentoring programs to support the success of diverse students in law school.
Administrative Duties (5%)
- As a member of the senior administration team in the Law School, assists in the development of policies, goals, and priorities that are aligned with the school's strategic plan and mission.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates administrators and staff of the Admissions and Financial Aid office.
- Establishes departmental administrative policies and procedures that are internally consistent and integrated with other law school offices such as Alumni Relations, Career Services, JD Student Affairs, and Law School Records.
- Effectively manages assigned budgets and costs.
- Attends regular and ad hoc law school meetings and leads and serves on committees.
- Represents the law school on standing and ad hoc University committees.
- Participates in regional and national peer meetings and discussions, keeping up to date on the latest programs and policies of the LSAC, the ABA, and the AALS, as well as best practices in law school admissions and financial aid.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Five years of leadership experience in law school admissions and financial aid required.
- Advanced degree required.
- Demonstrated compliance experience with all federal, state, and university regulations and policies as they relate to admissions and financial aid.
- Demonstrated success with enrollment management, including developing, implementing, analyzing, evaluating, and revising an annual recruitment plan and admissions plan in collaboration with the law school faculty and administration.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective programs to advance the recruitment and retention of students from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Proven skills in using advanced features of enrollment, admissions, and financial aid software.
- Demonstrated experience in managing department budgets and financial aid budgets.
- Advanced data analysis skills.
- Marketing and public relations skills with an advanced understanding of the role of outreach for enrollment goals.
- Exceptional communication skills, including effective writing and public speaking.
- Successful experience in staff supervision.
- Valid drivers license required and the ability to travel during peak recruitment periods.
$10,000-13,333 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click the 'Apply Now' button to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: October 20, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496535/assistant-dean-jd-admissions-financial-aid
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency