Assistant to the Dean
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Assistant to the Dean
The Assistant to the Dean (AttD) is a critical staff member within the Center for Academic and Student Achievement (CASA) in the Division of Student Life. ASA is a key resource in the University's student academic support system which serves a university-wide undergraduate population of over 6,000 students. The AttD will report to the Associate Vice President and Dean of Student Academic Services (AVP/Dean), supporting the Dean in their role as unit leader of CASA, Student Disability Services and the Learning Center.
As the initial, central point of contact for the AVP/Dean, the AttD is responsible for ensuring that initial inquiries from students, faculty, parents and other university staff are resolved in a timely, efficient, and professional manner. The AttD works collaboratively with the administrative team in CASA to assist with student and faculty referrals, and other issues by researching and conducting follow-up support on sensitive and high-risk cases being handled by the AVP/Dean. In this way, the AttD plays a key role in creating a unified CASA presence and responsive environment for students, staff, faculty, parents, and others.
As a member of the larger staff within Student Life, CASA supports student development in the Jesuit Catholic tradition. The mission of Student Life is to fully support holistic student development within a social justice framework that prepares students to be caring, socially responsible citizens in our global and local community.
Full Job Description:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Superior organizational and time management skills and ability to prioritize AVP/Dean's workload and schedule on a daily and annual basis. This includes, the ability to use independent judgment in balancing AVP/Dean's calendar and to establish safeguards for appointment and meeting requests, including scheduling of a large volume of intra- and interdepartmental meetings and events.
- Must possess the ability to take initiative and have the flexibility to work calmly and effectively under pressure and to prepare the AVP/Dean's appointments in an organized manner leaving room for unanticipated emergencies and meetings on a daily basis. Oversees and manages procedures to accommodate drop-in visits by students, faculty, parents, alumni, and staff.
- Under direction of the AVP/Dean, the AttD oversees front-line response, problem solving, and triage for the AVP/Dean's appointments as well as for those seeking general information and assistance. Receives and screens a variety of calls. Takes information, answers inquiries, provides information using knowledge of university, college, and department/program academic policies and procedures.
- Serve as an active member of the Admin team in planning for staffing and events throughout the academic year. Provide support to students and the CASA team during peak weeks including first week of classes, registration week, last day to withdraw, etc.
- Takes the initiative and uses independent judgment to prepare relevant material (background information, presentations, talking points, etc.) in anticipation of AVP/Dean's appointments and meetings with various constituencies on campus. This includes but is not limited to assisting the AVP prepare for: Provost Council, Board of Trustees, New Student Orientation, Faculty Orientation, Student Life Leadership and Core Team meetings, and Development/Parent Relations.
- Assists the AVP/Dean to maintain an efficient filing and data management system that creates a steady flow of incoming and outgoing information/material on a daily and regular basis. Creates and maintains a management system for documents that require the approval of the AVP/Dean. This will include monitoring and streamlining proper distribution of material in the event of AVP/Dean's absence from the office.
- Must possess a high level of emotional intelligence and maturity in handling a large volume of communications, conversations, and material related to highly sensitive and confidential material. This includes close collaboration with the Office of Legal Counsel and other Dean's Offices/VPs in preparing the AVP/Dean for handling grievances and cases involving crisis/conflict management; includes taking confidential minutes and maintaining confidential data management. Responsible for follow-up and assisting in bringing matters to a close, on sensitive student cases requiring priority attention.
- Creates or inputs, revises, stores, retrieves, edits, and prints a variety of confidential documents, reports, or records using word processing software and USF databases (Banner, Tableau, and Salesforce).
- Superior oral and written communication skills including the ability to draft correspondence, speeches, presentations, and other communications materials, using correct grammar and punctuation. Excellent proofreading skills required.
- Collaborates with the Office of Development to provide donor reports as needed, and support efforts aimed at establishing future awards. This includes helping AVP/Dean with communications and event planning for donor supported student scholar cohorts, and tracking student success stories.
- Assists the AVP/Dean in handling special projects and reviewing retention and registration data (Salesforce, Tableau, Banner), in order to support internal business processes for student outreach. This may require meeting coordination and long term planning involving members from various divisions and departments, developing content material such as faculty/student surveys, and the necessary follow-up with the Dean's Offices and CIPE (Center for Institutional Planning and Effectiveness).
- Ability to use data to identify departmental needs, forecast trends, and create solutions and business processes to address the needs of the staff and students with guidance from the AVP/Dean.
- Assists in handling the annual performance evaluation procedure for AVP/Dean's direct reports. Provides staff with materials and deadlines, scheduling evaluation reviews, and submits materials to Human Resources.
- Assists the AVP/Dean in maintaining information and material related to annual conferences. This includes assisting the AVP/Dean with conference related presentations and logistics.
- Manages budget related items and expense reports for the AVP/Dean.
- Serves on various internal subcommittees such as the Administrative team, New Student Orientation, Salesforce Leads, Webtrack (summer new student advising program), etc.
- Participates in important and confidential meetings involving CASA and other university staff, and takes minutes and conducts follow-up as needed.
- Participates in and supports department events and presentations, as required by committees such as New Student Orientation. In collaboration with the Administrative Team, prepares the AVP/Dean for CASA-Sponsored and/or university supported events such as Admitted Student Visit Program events, Parent/Alumni Weekend, Senior Class Celebration, and other department/Colleges/Schools events.
- Represents the AVP/Dean in meetings as needed.
- Supervises student assistant/s.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including some evening and weekend assignments in a variety of locations across campus, or remotely, to support presentations and events.
- College degree required, Master's degree preferred. Five to seven years of prior experience performing related responsibilities as an Assistant to Department Head/Dean/VP in a higher education or business setting, is preferred. Experience in student services/student advising preferred.
- Ability to manage high-level stress and the flexibility to shift priorities on an hourly/daily basis while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor in interacting with staff, faculty, and the general public in a high-pressure environment is required.
- Demonstrated interpersonal abilities, including being able to respond compassionately to students and parents in crisis or under stress, and to quickly provide them with support, accurate information, and referrals. Previous experience working with students, faculty, families and administrators from diverse backgrounds preferred.
- Proven experience in team support and the ability to grasp team climate and actively build team morale.
- A strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to take the initiative and participate in the continuing development of the Center for Academic and Student Achievement.
- Proven ability to respond quickly to priorities set by the AVP/Dean, maintain confidentiality, and prioritize sensitive and high-risk student cases, while working independently without close supervision handling diverse situations and meeting demanding deadlines.
- Flexible and readily adaptable to change while handling projects or designated responsibilities; an expert problem-solver who is capable of exercising good, independent judgment in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills including MSOffice, Google Suite, email, and ability to learn web-based advising applications (Banner) and case management systems (Salesforce, Tableau); Experience with desktop publishing software and equipment to design and produce high-quality publications preferred.
- Experience utilizing innovative technologies for reporting and to create efficiencies for student outreach and support, (e.g. Salesforce, Tableau, Zoom, Slack, Glia chat).
- A willingness to respect and actively support the goals, mission, and vision of Jesuit education in general and the University of San Francisco in particular.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Assistant-to-the-Dean_R0004699.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency