- Associate Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Go to our website »
Associate Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Job no: 523223
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $10,669 - 12,484 per month
CSU Salary Schedule
Priority Screening Date: March 20, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general direction of the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the Associate Dean is responsible for maintaining smooth, efficient, and effective college operations. The Associate Dean provides leadership and oversight for: enrollment management, program quality, assessment, academic personnel, student success, facilities planning and management; safety, and university relations. The Associate Dean assists with strategic planning and implementation of initiatives related to the Mission and Vision of the College and the University. The Associate Dean helps ensure compliance with policies and procedures, researches issues, analyzes institutional data, prepares reports, makes recommendations for changes in policy or procedures, and handles confidential problems that arise in the college. The Associate Dean serves in the Dean's capacity in the absence of the Dean.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Supports the Dean in all aspects of college leadership:
- In consultation with the Dean, assists with strategic planning and provides leadership for college-wide initiatives aligned with the College's Mission and Vision
- Helps the dean to establish and maintain a professional, positive, collegial, collaborative culture throughout the College
- Assists with the management of all College programs, operations, and facilities including interfacing with Campus Planning and Development on space and resource needs
- Assists Dean in establishing and maintaining positive internal and external relations with diverse populations and constituencies, including: faculty, staff, students, community partners, alumni, donors, supporters, and external agencies
2. Enrollment management, budget and program quality:
- Leads ongoing data- and evidence-based enrollment management efforts in College; works with staff to review, manage, and report on enrollment and related budget issues
- Leads review of curriculum proposals, curriculum changes, and new program development; sits on the College Curriculum Committee as ex-officio
- Leads program review, assessment, and accreditation efforts in College, including maintenance of an effective assessment process and the coordination of Program Review; works with the Faculty Associate on Assessment to achieve these goals
3. Academic personnel:
- Facilitates the retention, tenure and promotion (RTP) process in the College. Makes draft recommendations to the dean on RTP reviews
- Provides administrative oversight for department chairs in hiring and evaluating temporary faculty
- Serves as the first line of support for department chairs. Includes troubleshooting and facilitating resolution of conflict between college personnel
4. Student success:
- Oversees all aspects of student success in the college, including, but not limited to: advising; student issues; General Education progress; major and minor requirements; complaints; and grievances
- Assist with initiatives to facilitate student progress, career planning, retention, and graduation
- Supports the delivery of individual and organizational needs in the areas of diversity and inclusion
5. University relations:
- Represents the dean on numerous committees and working groups as per current and future initiatives
- Liaison with other departments and units, including but not limited to: Graduate and Undergraduate Studies, Advising Center, Admissions, Registrar, and Information Technology
- Effectively represents the College in university-wide and inter-divisional settings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of the disciplines and programs represented in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's Vision to provide a just, equitable, and inclusive education. Demonstrates organizational awareness and communicates accurately and effectively about administrative policies, procedures, and business practices. Demonstrates attention to and knowledge of safety and risk issues, including those associated with facilities.
Leadership skills that help others to understand and commit to the vision and goals of the College and University. Strong interpersonal and analytical skills in written and verbal communication, including skills involving quantitative and qualitative analysis, and co-creative decision making. Skill in identifying needed resources and utilizing existing resources efficiently.
Demonstrated ability to: work effectively with faculty and staff; maintain confidentiality and interact well with diverse populations and different university constituencies, including faculty, staff, administrators, students, and alumni. Ability to: plan, direct, and administer policies and programs; interpret technical procedures, contracts, or regulations; work effectively in planning and executing facilities-related projects. Desire to work in a team-based, dynamic environment and ability to adapt to changing priorities. Displays commitment to excellence and the University and College mission.
The Associate Dean must be a tenured full professor in a department or program within the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences discipline and possess a Ph.D. or other terminal degree in a discipline or area represented within the College. A minimum of five (5) years administrative experience as department chair, program coordinator, faculty associate or similar position is also required.
- Commitment to transparency, collaboration, and improvement
- Desire and ability to work independently and be self-directed in prioritization of tasks and initiatives
- Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent student information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs
- The ideal candidate will have skills, knowledge and leadership experience in the following areas that are aligned with CSUMB's core values and vision:
- Collaborative, ethical, effective, timely and solutions-oriented communication and decision making
- Outcomes-based education and assessment of student learning
- Service learning, reciprocal community partnering and/or field-based experiences in teaching and learning
- Promoting and fostering of global awareness throughout the College and the campus capacity to value an interdisciplinary approach
- Enhancing community relations and promoting the role of the College in the campus and externally
- Implementing innovative technologies in learning environments, and utilizing technology for improvement of teaching and learning
- Involvement in strategic planning and policy development, advocacy, and management skills.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access; access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards).
- This position is a designated position in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to University Police all reports of Clery Act crimes brought to their attention.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and /or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/523223/associate-dean-of-the-college-of-arts-humanities-and-social-sciences
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency