Associate Dean of the Library
Job No: 516297
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, At-Will, Full Time, Library
Associate Dean of the Library
Compensation and Benefits
The Anticipated Hiring Salary is $126,000 - $130,000 and is competitive and negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Reports directly to the Dean of Library Services and plays a significant role in all aspects of library-wide planning, budgeting, personnel planning and management, operations, communications, and policy development, and works closely with faculty, staff, and unit leads. The position works with the Dean in implementing the vision, strategic plan, and strategic goals of the library, and provides leadership and management to ensure accountability, effective services, and library operations. The Associate Dean acts on behalf of the library in the absence of the Dean and is the Dean's primary representative in liaison with other campus units on a wide range of academic and strategic issues.
The Associate Dean also provides vision and leadership for an evolving, comprehensive program of library services that integrates tools and practices for effective inquiry, creation, sharing, and use of scholarly and professional resources with the curricular and research activities of Fresno State faculty and students, while supporting diverse disciplines and professional practices.
This position participates as a member of library-and university-wide groups, task forces, and project teams as appropriate and is expected to work comfortably and with a high degree of expertise in a shared decision-making environment.
The Associate Dean's portfolio includes a strong college liaison program, an innovative peer-assisted research services program, oversight of our special collections and archives, and growing university-wide programs in support of digital scholarship, and scholarly communication.
As a leader, the Associate Dean will foster an environment where strategic and well-informed risk taking is encouraged. As a senior member of the library leadership team, this position is responsible for library-wide planning and policy making and works with other library leaders to implement the library's strategic plan.
Exceptional management and leadership in the direct reporting areas so that all activities are in alignment with the library's strategic priorities and goals. More specifically, the Associate Dean's oversight, leadership and management responsibilities are in the following service point and collection areas:
- Access Services
- Interlibrary Loan and E-Reserves
- Music and Media
- Research Services
- The Arne Nixon Center for the Study of Children's Literature
- The Special Collections Research Center
- The Teacher Resource Center/Curriculum Library Collection Development Unit
- Knowledge of:
- Thorough knowledge of current trends in library and information science management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in academic management and organization, and academic budgets.
- Knowledge of and ongoing involvement with professional associations and consortia.
- Broad knowledge, understanding and skills with relevant information technology.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of effective leadership, motivation and performance evaluation.
- Skill/Ability to:
- Strong management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong analytical, entrepreneurial and proactive skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to foster collaborative and productive relationships.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills with a commitment to excellent customer service and positive user experiences.
- Ability to lead organizational change, inspire innovation, and delegate responsibility appropriately.
- Ability to ensure confidentiality around sensitive issues.
- Ability to lead in a shared decision-making environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and working with underserved student populations and first-generation students and implementing the diversity action plan as outlined in the library strategic plan.
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance.
- Proven commitment to nurturing staff development and professional growth. Collaborate willingly with others to help advance the goals of the library and university. Show courtesy and respect towards others.
- Ability to facilitate group participation, consensus building and foster employee development through coaching, counseling, and training.
- Significant experience managing academic personnel.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Master's degree in library science, information science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum of five years of management experience in a library and working in library administration.
The Fresno State Library is the largest academic library in California between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With over 1.5 million visitors a year, the 339,000 square foot library serves as the hub of the campus community. It provides innovative services including technology lending to both faculty and students, a growing digital repository, integrated information literacy instruction, and student-centered campus partnerships. The library has over a million print volumes, hundreds of thousands of electronic resources, and significant special collections of children's literature, teacher resources, music and media, World's Fair materials, local and regional history, aerial photography, and hosts numerous rotating exhibitions and campus and community events. Library personnel include 21 FTE library faculty, 34 support staff, and 29 FTE student assistants.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by August 7, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click "Apply Now" to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resume/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)
To apply, visit https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/job/516297/associate-dean-of-the-library
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-923a77d166d5c14b9e409ad20d45f5d7